BACN Launches Web 2.0 InitiativeThe Bay Area Consultants Network has launched a new initiative to help its members learn how to harness the business potential of the Web 2.0 world. As part of this initiative, two companies and the organization itself are implementing procedures that create visibility and credibility for the businesses, encourage customer engagement and develop compelling communities of interest. Updates are given at each monthly meeting and a full program on the initiative will take place early in 2008.
Some Web 2.0 Tools BACN Members Recommend (from our Forum Notes page)
- LinkedIn (see the Marketing Profs tutorial for help with this) online “resume” and business network
- Del.icio.us social bookmarking: see what people have marked as interesting about a topic. (Check the tag BACNWeb2 for links to more Web 2.0 tools)
- Digg (hot stories online).
- Interactive surveys (e.g. SurveyMonkey)
- Yelp online reviews.
- Visible Path corporate social networks.
Where Do I Start with Web 2.0? (April 2008)Listen and observe, then get involved. To find out what people are saying about you, your clients, your prospects, or your industry, use these free tools:
- Google Alerts: http://www.google.com/alerts/
- Yahoo! Alerts: http://alerts.yahoo.com/
- Technorati (blog search): http://www.technorati.com
- EveryZing (audio & video search): http://www.everyzing.com
- #hashtags (Twitter search): http://hashtags.org
Resources Mentioned in John Todor’s March 2008 Presentation
- Video: John Todor on Business in Today’s Market
- Bring the Love Back video illustrating the changing relationship between customers & corporations
- Common Craft video: RSS in Plain English
- Google Alerts
- AllBusiness.com: resources, advice, & forums
- Bay Area Linkup
- The Wise Marketer
- Cincom Expert Access
- PR Web online press releases
- PR Web in Plain English video
- Perfect Customer Experience group blog
- John Todor’s “On Customers” blog
- WSRadio (Internet Radio)
- Fora.tv business video sharing site
- MarketingProfs online seminars
- dotSub (videos translated by volunteers)
- Footnote (document sharing site)
Tagging Exercise from February 2008 BACN MeetingOur February Web 2.0 Minute focused on social bookmarking, in particular del.icio.us, but we started with an exercise on tagging. BACN members “tagged” the others at their table with keywords written on sticky notes. Inspired by Jeff Pulver’s real-time social media breakfasts.Social bookmarking lets you store your “bookmarks” or “favorites” online and share them with others. You can also put the same link into different “folders” by using multiple tags.After the tagging exercise, we took a quick look at the social bookmarking service del.icio.us, and in particular at the links Sallie Goetsch has collected for BACN members under the tag “BACNweb2.”Listen to the recording of the tagging exercise (MP3, 5.35 MB, 11 min 42 sec).
Web 2.0 Tips from January 2008 BACN Meeting
- 100+ Smart Ways to Use Linked In
- MarketingProfs LinkedIn Tutorial
- Guy Kawasaki’s LinkedIn Tips
- Making LinkedIn Pay Dividends
- Let’s Connect (LinkedIn book)